NNECERAPPA (Northern New England Chapter Eastern Region Association of Physical Plant Administrators.)
MEHES (Maine Hospital Engineers Society)
MEREDA (Maine Real Estate Develop Association)
AIA (American Institute of Architects)
Portland Chamber of Commerce
The Masonry Society
Masonry Institute of America
Portland Society of Architects
Selected Project Experiences
Historic Masonry Envelope Restoration Projects:
Roofing & Envelope Consultant with duties providing condition assessments, corrective designs, and PM.
Moody Chapel (Circa 1884), Fairfield, ME
The Turrets (Circa 1880’s), Bar Harbor, ME
Eastport P.O. (Circa 1880’s), Eastport, ME
Bar Harbor Bank & Trust, Bar Harbor, ME
Mount Desert Rock (Circa 1840), Bar Harbor, ME
St. Mary’s of the Assumption, Orono, ME
Rollins Chapel (Circa 1884), Hanover, NH
Christ Church (Circa 1880), Andover, MA
State Street Church (Circa 1870), Portland, ME
St. Ann’s Episcopal Church (Circa 1880), Kennebunkport, ME
The Cathedral of St. Luke (Circa 1866), Portland Me
Lewiston Fire Station, Lewiston ME
Skowhegan Fire Station, (Circa 1930) Skowhegan, ME
Bar Harbor Fire Station, (Circa 1930) Bar Harbor, ME
Waterville Fire Station, Waterville, ME
Texas State Capital Building, (Circa 1890), Auston Tx.
Engineering Building, (Circa 1900) Augusta, ME
Mill No.7, (Circa 1820), Newmarket, NH
Lincoln Mill, (Circa 1820), Biddeford, ME
Powers Hall, (Circa 1929), Machias, ME
Building No1- VA Brockton, MA
Charles Moody Building, (Circa 1928) Shawmut, ME
Sacred Heart Church, Concord, NH
Phillips Church (Circa 1885), Exeter, NH
Poland Spring, Preservation Park (Circa 1903), Poland, ME
Wood island Light (Circa 1800), Biddeford Pool, ME
Coles Tower, Brunswick, ME
Samuel Phillips Clock Tower, Andover MA
United States Capitol Building Plaza, Washington D.C.
Rockefeller Building (circa 1932), Winter Harbor, ME
Maine State Capitol Building, Augusta, ME
Lake County Court House, Valparaiso, IN.
Richmond Canal System (circa 1830) Richmond, VA
Fogg Memorial Building (circa 1894), Berwick, ME
Bar Harbor Bank & Trust (circa 1920), Bar Harbor, ME
Phillips Hall (circa 1923), Exeter, NH
Wheelwright Hall (circa 1928), Exeter, NH
Academy Building (circa 1855), Fryeburg, ME
Chestnut Street Church (circa 1840), Portland, ME
Union Hall (circa 1890), Philadelphia, PA
Washburn Memorial Library (circa 1920), Livermore, ME
Walker Memorial Library (1920), Westbrook, ME
Fort Jefferson (circa 1810), Key West, FL
Nobleboro Middle School (circa 1930), Nobleboro, ME
Portland Museum of Art, Portland, ME
McLellan-Sweat House, Portland, Me
City of Portland Maine, Portland, ME
Lewiston City Hall, Lewiston, ME
Oakland’s Residence, (circa 1835), Gardiner, ME
Calais Free Library (circa 1892) Calais, Me
St. John the Baptist Church (circa 1933), Brunswick, ME
Reading Terminal (circa 18701), Phila, PA
Immaculata College Chapel (circa 1881), Malvern, PA
York Union Chapel (circa 1760) York, PA
Holy Cross-Chapel (circa 1850), Brunswick, ME
Winchester National Bank, (circa 1920), Winchester, MA
Bryant Park (circa 1890), New York, NY
Pineland Center Conference Center (circa 1920), Gray, ME
Farmington Public Library (circa 1925) Farmington, ME
St. Mary’s by the Sea Episcopal Chapel (circa 1898), Northeast Harbor, ME
First Parish Church (circa 1700’s), Portland, ME
Porter Memorial Library, Machias, ME
Powers Hall, (circa 1931) Machias, ME
Scott R. Whitaker has specialized in understanding the performance of building envelopes as complete systems 38 years. He has built his reputation as a leading building envelope consultant working with and guiding tradesman, facility managers, engineers, architects, and owners through the stages of analyzing, understanding, repairing and maintaining building envelopes of all types. He specializes in masonry facades and roofing systems. His experience has gained him the reputation for solving complicated design flaws or installation problems that impact the performance of a building envelope system.
Additional experience includes the application of specialized engineered masonry products, building assessments, forensic investigations, dimensional stone detailing and anchor design, cost estimating, project management, product development, and professional service sales.
Prior to starting Building Envelope Specialists, he gained experience in the architectural design field as VP of Masonry Operations for a local architectural company, designer and estimator in the structural steel industry, and a chief draftsman in the miscellaneous metals industry. With this experience, he has authored guidelines and procedures for the refurbishing and maintenance of masonry buildings. Scott has consulted on projects throughout the United States and the Caribbean.
He has provided expert testimony and litigation support services on various buildings. He has also been featured in the March 2002 issue of Stone Magazine and in the November 2014 issue of Facilities Magazine as well as recognized by a past United States President for consulting excellence.
Science, Engineering Technology
Spring Garden Engineering College
Science in Architecture Course Work
Union Institute & Boston Architectural Center
Certificate: Understanding Portland Brownstone.
Certificate: Masonry: Learn to do it right. University of Wisconsin.
Certificate: Building Envelopes and Clean Air. Maine Air Quality.
Certificate: Conservation of Structures and Older Buildings.
2011: Cellular Foam Grout-New Hampshire Board of Engineers.
2012: Masonry Restoration and Your Campus-NNECARAPPA Conference.
2013: Masonry Restoration and Your Campus-Maine Hospitals Conference.
2014: The ABC’s of navigating Historic Masonry Building Restoration using Historic Tax Credits. – MEREDA
2016: Historic Masonry Reborn- MEREDA
Federal Work Disciplines
|16||Construction Manager||18||Cost Engineer/Estimator|
|26||Forensic Engineer||48||Project Manager|
- Winner of 2008, Maine Preservation, Preservation Honor Award for the repair and restoration of St Ann’s Episcopal Church.
- Winner of 2008, Maine Honor Preservation Award in the repair and restoration for the Beech Nut Hut in Rockland, Maine.
- Winner of 2011, New Hampshire Preservation Award for the repair and restoration of Academy Hall in Exeter, New Hampshire.
- Winner of 2012, Maine Preservation Honor Award for the adaptive use of the Twitchell-Chaplin Co. Building in Portland, Maine.
- Winner of 2012, Maine Preservation Honor Award for the adaptive use of the Maine Hall Building in Bangor, Maine.
- Winner of 2013, Maine Preservation Honor Award for the adaptive use of the Maine Children’s Hospital in Portland, Maine.
- Winner of 2013, Maine Preservation Honor Award for the repair and restoration of Porter Memorial Library in Machias, Maine.
- Winner of 2013, Maine Preservation Honor Award for the repair and restoration of Moody Chapel Tower in Fairfield, Maine.
- Winner of 2013, Maine Preservation Honor Award for the repair and restoration of Lamb Block in Livermore Falls, Maine.
- Winner of 2013, Federal “Timmy” Award for the adaptive use of the Maine Children’s Hospital in Portland, Maine.
- Winner of 2014, Maine Preservation Honor Award for the repair and restoration of The Turrets in Bar Harbor, Maine.
- Winner of 2015, Maine Preservation Honor Award for the repair and restoration of Eastport Post Office in Eastport, Maine.
- Winner of 2015, Maine Preservation Honor Award for the repair and restoration of Kora Temple in Lewiston, Maine.
- Winner of 2015, Maine Preservation Honor Award for the repair and restoration of Powers Hall in Machais Maine.
- Winner of 2016, Maine Preservation Honor Award for the repair and restoration of Knox County Courthouse in Rockland, Maine.
- Winner of 2016, Maine Preservation Honor Award for the repair and restoration of Charles E. Moody School in Shawmut Maine.